Monday, March 21, 2016

Dave's Famous Veggie Chili

When I was 14, I spent the summer working in a health food cafe. The cafe served a vegetarian chili as a special each week. I thought it was the best chili I'd ever had. This is my own version. I make a huge pot of this on cold days and leave it out all day for everyone to serve themselves for lunch and dinner along with a smorgasbord of toppings. This chili is packed with flavor and you will never miss the meat. My husband, Dave, always puts the finishing touches on this chili by adjusting the spices at the end.  He has the magic touch! I hope you enjoy this as much as my family does.

Serves 6-8

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 sweet potatoes, chopped
2 potatoes, chopped
1 bunch kale, chopped
1 15 oz can black beans
1 15 oz can kidney beans
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
2 bay leaves
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
A pinch chipotle powder
1 tablespoons sea salt, or to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Toppings:
Chopped fresh cilantro
Chopped fresh onion
Pickled jalapeños
Sour cream
Shredded raw sharp cheddar
Sliced avocado
Tortilla chips



In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.  Add the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery. Sauté a few minutes while adding all of the spices. Add all of the remaining ingredients and enough water to get the consistency that you like. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to simmer on low for about an hour.  Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. This chili only gets better the longer it sits. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment